head

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Beerathlon 5K - 7.16.11



I had been looking forward to this race for quite a while and I almost missed it.  Jason had to have a last minute surgery.  While outpatient, I wasn't sure if he'd be able to be left alone the next day.  I guess you can tell, I left him.  

This 5K started at Buffalo Wild Wings on Bethel Road, Columbus, Ohio.  Mid-July, hottest week of the year, 7 o'clock, no shade, street race.  Recipe for disaster.

Here we are before the race:

I ran at what I thought was a comfortable pace. I often watch my Garmin but don't do a whole lot of adjusting, I just like to see where I am, every 2 seconds.  Just 1/2 mile in, it took a major pep talk to keep going.  It was hot, the sun was beating in our face, no sign of shade in site.  

Just like every other 5K, everyone seemed super fast.  Again, I started off too fast.  While I carried Powerarde and used sportbeans prior, this race was the hardest ever, ever, ever.  The only glimmer of hope to finish running was a property owner in the area turned his sprinkler on into the street.  Those drops were 2 seconds of heaven

I crossed the finish line (uphill, thanks Ultra-fit) and was greeted by Sara's Mother in Law and our friend, Marie.  I'm not sure what I said, but I remember "it's too hot" and "I want to cry".   I also wanted to go back and finish with Sara, but I didn't have it in me.  What support would I be if I could barely walk?  I needed something, but I wasn't sure what.  I settled for a granola bar and gatorade.  While choosing my recovery meal, I missed Sara's finish.  Of course I did, I felt terrible.

While I was pressed for time, we managed to get a beer.  I mean, it had "beer" in the title, it only seemed right!

  

The Details

The Course:




View Buffalo Wild Wings 5K in a larger map


My bib: 575

My chip time: No Chip!!!  Gunstart, handed a card at finish.  Totally weird if you ask me.

My Garmin time: 33:10, 10:33, 3.12 miles

108/179 overall
There were more runners, but they didn't turn in their time.  Let's just say I was faster than them...

My splits:
1 - 9:50
2 - 10:56
3 - 11:07
4 - 1:15


Race Packet goodies:




Another Super cute tech shirt to add to my collection!  



See ya on the run!

2 comments:

  1. I live right near there! I would have come to cheer you on (from a lawn chair with beer) if I'd realized where the race started. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so admire all of you running races in this crazy heat we've been having! Nice recap!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...